For Assembly District 76
Carlsbad, CA — Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath is announcing the honorees for the 2020 Veteran and Service Member Awards for the 76th Assembly District. In the month of October, the North County community responded to the call for nominations with a diverse array of nominees. These nominees were chosen because of their outstanding service to the people of Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista, and Camp Pendleton.
“With so many active and retired service members who call North County home, it’s no wonder so many of us can say that our lives have been touched by someone who has worn a uniform,” said Assemblymember Boerner Horvath. “These heroes are all around us, taking care of our neighborhoods, bringing people together, and improving lives. This outstanding group of awardees has given a lot to our communities, and for that, they deserve to be honored and thanked.”
The recipients by category are as follows:
• Excellence in Advocacy: Hon. Donald F. Armento
• Excellence in Mentorship: Ericka Paez
• Excellence in the Arts: W.B. May
• Excellence in Leadership: Col. Gary Johnston (Ret.)
• Military Spouse of the Year: Emily Woods
• Veteran Volunteer of the Year: LCDR Tracy Owens, (Ret.)
• Organizational Award: Veterans Association of North County
• Blue Star Families: Staci Holt, Maggie Meza, & Laura Torres
• Excellence in Service: California National Guard
Assemblymember Boerner Horvath will be hosting a virtual awards ceremony with the recipients and their families on Tuesday, November 17th from 10:00am – 11:00am. The public is invited to tune in and take part in celebrating this group of individuals and organizations. Those interested in participating can RSVP here to receive a link to join the virtual event, or visit www.tinyurl.com/register-vmsa. For questions about the award ceremony, please call (760) 434-7605 or email District Director Janet Chin at Janet.Chin@asm.ca.gov for more details.
Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath
76th Assembly District, 325 Carlsbad Village Drive, Suite A-2, Carlsbad, CA 92008 – P: (760) 434-7605