Spring cleaning may be long gone but it’s never too late to tidy up your space, and Caltrans is making it easier to do just that this weekend.
In honor of Coastal Cleanup Day, the agency will accept everyday household items on Saturday, free of charge, big or small. Large, unwanted items like mattresses, refrigerators, couches and other furniture will be accepted, as will small pieces of trash. Recyclables like glass, cans and oversized boxes will also be accepted.
Four Park & Ride locations in San Diego and Imperial Counties will serve as drop-off sites for unwanted junk. The participating centers are located at:
- 9650 Mira Mesa Blvd. in Mira Mesa;
- 710 La Costa Ave. in Encinitas;
- 2300 Sweetwater Rd. in National City;
- 7675 High St. in La Mesa;
- 1102 Montenegro Way in El Centro;
- 200 South Palm Ave. in Brawley.
Shawn Rizzutto, Caltrans Senior Transportation Engineer, urges participants to make sure they secure their large items so they don’t fall onto roads and freeways while in transit.