TR Robertson — The exploration of strange and usual laws that once existed or still exist in the U.S. continues with the state of New York. Some of these laws make sense but may have been removed due to lack of enforcement or changes in customs over the years.
- Skippers are not to be worn after 10 pm.
- It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while each wearing a mask or any face covering which disguises your identity. (Wonder how this works today?)
- No selfies can be shot with big cats.
- Men cannot turn around on any street and look at women “that way”.
- A license must be purchased to clothes on a clothesline.
- A man cannot go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
- Citizens may not greet each other by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers”.
- During a concert it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalk.
- It is illegal to throw a ball at someone’s head for fun.
- You can teach your parrot to talk but not to squawk.
- It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing “body hugging clothing”.
- It is illegal to jump off the Empire State Building.
- You cannot play more than 10 hours of bingo a week.
- A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.
- Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields.
- Drunk bingo is not allowed.
- Fights between cats and dogs is prohibited.
- It is illegal to sneeze on city streets.
- If a man and woman who are not married go to a hotel and register themselves as married, then according to state law they are legally married.
- It is against the law to sing off key in North Carolina.
- It is required that you pay a property tax on your dog.
- It is illegal for anyone to play the piccolo between the hours of 11 pm and 7:30 am.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.
- You can be jailed for wearing a hat while dancing.
- You must have a pigeon-killing permit to kill a pigeon.
- Beer and pretzels cannot be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- Charitable groups can hold stud poker games to raise money twice a year,
- It is illegal to keep an elk in a sandbox in your backyard.
- Horses are not allowed in your house.
- Bathtubs must be kept in your backyard.
- For less serious crimes you cannot be arrested on a Sunday or the 4th of July unless you are on a river.
- If you lose your exotic animal, you must notify authorities within one hour.
- It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
- It is against the law to kill a housefly within 160 feet of a church without a license.
- A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him.
- Cars are not allowed to scare horses.
- You cannot operate a motor vehicle while sitting in another person’s lap.
- Stores cannot sell corn flakes on Sunday.
- It is illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man’s picture.
- It is illegal to spit in a salad bar.
- It is illegal to mistreat anything of great importance.
- You cannot eat a donut and walk backwards on a city street.
- It is illegal to run out of gas.
- It is illegal to wrestle a bear.
- It is illegal for the owner of a bar to allow anyone inside to pretend to have sex with an animal.
- You cannot make glue out of dead skunks.
- Molesting an automobile is illegal.
- Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
- People who make ugly faces at dogs can be fined.
- It is illegal to take a bite out of someone else’s hamburger.
- It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots.
- Dogs may not congregate in groups of three or more on private property without a permit.
- It is illegal for children to use towels as capes and jump from houses pretending to be superman.
- It is illegal to throw poop out of a moving car.
- It is illegal to hunt in a cemetery.
- Canned corn cannot be used as bait for fishing.
- Dishes must be left to drip dry.
- You cannot box with a kangaroo.
- You cannot whistle underwater.
- You cannot wear roller skates in restrooms.
- It is illegal to show movies or attend a car race on Sundays.
- Juggling is prohibited without a license.
- Anyone with a bad reputation is prohibited from distributing malt beverages.
- It is illegal to leave home without knowing where you are going.
- It is illegal to feed your cat or dog less than once a day.
- It is illegal to tell a fortune teller where to dig for buried treasure.
- Persons convicted of felonies may not operate Bingo games.
- You are not allowed to catch a fish with your mouth.
- Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward them must pull well off the road and cover the car until the horses pass.
- Any motorist driving on a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal to make sure the road is clear of livestock.
- Dynamite cannot be used to catch fish.
- You cannot sip from a carbonated drink while lecturing students in a school.
- You cannot put pretzels in bags.
- It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel.
- It is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.
- You may not sing in a bathtub.
- Horse speed testing is not permitted.
- No person may bite off another’s limbs.
- Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void.
- It is illegal to sell toothpaste or a toothbrush to the same person on a Sunday.
- You cannot throw pickle juice on a trolley.
- It is illegal to wear transparent clothing.
- It is illegal to smoke from a pipe after sunset.
- It is illegal to keep a flock of chickens in your house.
- It is illegal to challenge someone to a duel or accept a duel.
- It is illegal to coast downhill in your car with the transmission in neutral of the clutch disengaged.
Part 6 will begin with the state of South Carolina and finish with the last state alphabetically, Wyoming.