Vista, CA –Members of the American Legion Riders, Chapter 365 (ALR365) will be hosting their eight annual “Daryl Malone Memorial Poker Run” on Saturday April 30, 2022. The event is open to the public and the public is welcome to participate. You do not have to be a motorcycle rider to participate, there will be raffle baskets, good food, and a band for entertainment. 100% of the proceeds from this event will be going to support Military and Veteran causes. The American Legion is a Tax-Exempt Veterans Service Organization under Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(19).
At this year’s Poker Run we will be in honoring our Vietnam Veterans. We will have discounted tickets for ride participants and will recognize each one of them for their service and sacrifices.
The purpose of the Poker Run is to bring awareness to Veteran causes, promote camaraderie, to be ambassadors to our community and ultimately to raise funds for various Veteran and Military causes. Throughout the years ALR365 has provided financial support for such organizations as the North County Veteran’s Stand Down, Hearts to Feed 100 Military Food Drive, Shelter to Soldier, K9 Guardians and Mission22. This year the goal is to raise $12,000 in support of Wounded Warrior Homes, Inc. (https://www.woundedwarriorhomes.org/). Wounded Warrior Homes, Inc is a local 501(c)(3) that provided transitional housing and re-integrative services to post 9/11 veterans with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and or Post Traumatic Stress (PTS). About 20% of veterans who served in Iraq or Afghanistan suffer from effects of PTS each year. Roughly 11% of homeless men are veterans and that number is probably higher in our military populated community. Having stable housing may help reduce stress in “at risk” veterans and this is an important aspect of suicide prevention.
How can you help support our event or how can you get involved?
- Make a tax-deductible Cash Donation – nothing to small, any monies can be dropped off at the Post
- Donate a Raffle Prize – Many individuals and business’ have already agreed to provide a raffle prize e.g. Cycle Gear, Turners Outdoors, re.find off main, B&C Automotive, Custom Embroidery
- Donation Letter available
- Tell your friends and family about this event and encourage them to participate
- Come by re.find off main (146 Eucalyptus Ave, Vista CA) on 12 March from 11 am to 2pm for a free cup of coffee (or a cold drink) and to hear more about the upcoming Poker Run and ways you can get involved in support our Veterans.
We hope to see you 30 April 2022 at 1234 S. Santa Fe Ave, Vista CA 92084. All COVID and Social distancing requirements will be observed.