MiraCosta College Latinx students efforts to increase Hispanic graduation rates through targeted education services and a list of events MiraCosta College is hosting throughout the month.
Due to a steadfast focus on serving the local Latinx community, the number of transfers for Latinx students has more than doubled for MiraCosta College since 2011, landing them in the top 3-4% of two-year schools in the US in graduating Latinx students. Additionally, 21% of MiraCosta College’s faculty is Hispanic.
- PUENTE Program: provides counseling, writing, professional development, culturally inclusive pedagogy, and mentoring to Latinx/Chicanx students.
- Undocumented People Rise in Solidarity and Empowerment (UPRISE): offers Latinx/Chicanx students and their families free services, such as legal consultations about immigration status and academic, mental health, and career counseling.
Students to profile:
- Sergio Mendoza– Sergio went from a college student struggling to pass his classes to a Phi Theta Kappa honor student that earned a highly competitive paid internship with the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Yesena Leon– Mexican immigrant Yesena, is the first in her family to go to college, graduating from MiraCosta College with a STEM bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology.
Hispanic Heritage Month Events:
- Dreaming of You Selena Tribute Concert: September 30, 6 p.m., Concert Hall
- MiraCosta Alum and award-winning author Erica Alfaro returns to speak about her amazing story of resilience and her journey of becoming an author and speaker. October 6, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Aztlan
- Latino Book and Family Festival: October 15, 10 a.m-4 p.m. on the Oceanside Campus. The event will feature over 100 exhibitors, including more than 30 authors. The festival will include family entertainment, dancing, bilingual activities and workshops, and food vendors and more!
- Dia De Los Muertos Ofrenda: November 1, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Library and Oceanside Campus.