San Diego Business Journal and San Diego County & Imperial County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce have recognized these leaders for their dedication to healthcare for the Hispanic community
San Marcos, CA- October 2022 — TrueCare’s Dr. Jorge Otañez and Moises Moreida have been honored as Top 50 Latino Leaders of Influence for 2022 by the San Diego Business Journal and San Diego County & Imperial County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
The judges recognized Dr. Otañez and Moises for their dedication to creating a healthier and more resilient Hispanic community.
Dr. Otañez plays a vital role as Associate Chief Medical Officer for TrueCare, bringing more than a decade of experience to the healthcare center. In this high-profile position, he provides clinical oversight on the delivery of healthcare, ensuring that patients receive the highest quality of wellness services and programs. Dr. Otañez chose a career in healthcare after growing up in Tijuana and witnessing firsthand the devastation that medical disparities can have on Latino individuals and families.
Among his recent achievements with improving healthcare for Hispanics are:
- Fighting the COVID-19 Infodemic by providing education, creating educational curriculum in Spanish and increasing the access to high quality care for patients, especially the Hispanic population.
- Starting a diabetes program for the general Hispanic population to control diabetes.
- Promoting the use of telehealth to help the Hispanic population get better access to healthcare.
Moises Moreida’s passion for underserved Hispanics began in college when he conducted public health surveys. There, he witnessed firsthand the often poor working conditions and lack of quality healthcare for this disadvantaged population. This experience inspired him to become a public health professional.
Moises is now the new Public Health Project and Planning Manager for TrueCare, his employer since 2015.
As a passionate, visionary leader for the Latino community, Moises focuses his time to build and strengthen strategic relationships within the North San Diego County and South Riverside communities, overseeing a variety of outreach activities, especially with Hispanics and other minority groups.
Moises has helped improved healthcare for Hispanics and underserved communities over the past year by:
- Spearheading TrueCare’s partnership with the non-profit group, Feeding San Diego, to provide 500,000 pounds of food in one year to the underserved community, especially Hispanics.
- Driving various health and food insecurity programs
- Securing COVID and flu vaccines for the agricultural population
- Speaking on health education averaging 200 speeches in the past year
- Expanding TrueCare’s Ag Grab Bags initiative by more than 50 percent
- Negotiating expanded agricultural industry participation to feed more Hispanics
Dr. Otañez and Moises remain focused on TrueCare’s mission to make quality, affordable, and accessible care available to everyone in the community and combat inequities that exist not only in healthcare, but in other critical areas of life.
About TrueCare * For 50 years, TrueCare has not wavered in its commitment to patients, their families, and its communities. As a non-profit community health center, TrueCare is dedicated to delivering a superior and compassionate healthcare experience to nearly 60,000 patients every year, reducing barriers and increasing accessibility to quality care. TrueCare cares for diverse communities in North San Diego and South Riverside counties, providing primary care, pediatric, women’s health, behavioral health, chiropractic and dental services. In addition, TrueCare offers transportation services, community health outreach, insurance enrollment assistance and case management programs.