San Marcos, CA., November, 2021 — The San Diego Business Journal has named Michelle D. Gonzalez, TrueCare’s president and CEO, as a finalist for the Business Women of the Year Award.
Each year, the San Diego Business Journal recognizes dynamic women business leaders who have contributed significantly to San Diego’s workplaces and communities.
Just as COVID-19 was spreading throughout the world, Gonzalez was appointed as President and CEO of TrueCare™, a nonprofit health care provider for the underserved in North San Diego and South Riverside Counties in April 2020.
As a leader on the front lines, she took the reins and navigated every aspect of this changing healthcare crisis while expanding services to help care for the underserved during a critical time.
Gonzalez helped steer TrueCare to triumph together with the community by:
- Collaborating with community partners to increase healthcare touchpoints and reduce food insecurity.
- Providing greater patient access via telehealth and mobile wellness.
- Maintaining a commitment to health and wellbeing of TrueCare employees, recognizing the critical role they have played and continue to play post pandemic.
- Expanding behavioral and mental health services for patients in need.
- Maintaining the provision of free health insurance enrollment assistance to the public, regardless of being a patient, which has been more important now than ever due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Launching TrueCare MyChart patient portal, powered by OCHIN Epic. This launch marked TrueCare as the first federally-qualified healthcare center (FQHC) in San Diego County to offer MyChart technology to their patients for easy access and management of their healthcare.
- Navigating the significant workforce challenges that have been exacerbated by the pandemic to ensure that we have an appropriate workforce to provide necessary services to the community.
Gonzalez remains focused on TrueCare’s mission to make quality, affordable, and accessible care available to everyone in the community and combat inequities that exist not only in healthcare, but in other critical areas of life.
About TrueCare … TrueCare provides an affordable, comprehensive and culturally sensitive healthcare experience to nearly 60,000 patients a year, many of whom are underinsured, or have no medical insurance. For nearly 50 years, TrueCare has served North San Diego and Riverside Counties with services ranging from primary care, pediatrics, women’s health, behavioral health, chiropractic and dentistry. In addition, TrueCare offers transportation services, community health outreach, insurance enrollment assistance, and case management programs.