This Month’s News
- Free Tax Preparation from AARP on Mondays & Wednesdays until April 17
- Culture Caravan Launch Party on March 6 from 2-4pm
- Start with Art – Monday Morning Art Activities Start on March 6
- Social Bridge Club is Back!
- St. Patrick’s Day Party on March 17 with Live Irish Dance Performance
- Free Movie on March 20
- Free Blood Pressure Checks-Free Blood Pressure Checks In the lobby of the Park Terrace Building March 8, 15, 22 & April 5 – 10:30am-12pm
Spotlight of March Events:
- Start with Art on Mondays – 11am in the Cafe – painting or other art activity.
- Social Bridge is back on Mondays at 11am in the Park Terrace Building.
- March 6 – 2-4pm: Culture Caravan Launch Party with free refreshments, prize drawings and local vendors.
- March 14 – 11am-12pm: Pi Day – join us for pie!
- March 15 – 11am-12pm: Everything you think is WRONG day – We will share silly trivia about debunked myths.
- March 17 – 11am- 12pm: St. Patrick’s Day Party with festive refreshments and live Irish Dance performance.
- March 20 – 1-3pm: Movie Monday “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” with free refreshments.
Tax Prep Service by AARP: AARP is offering free tax preparation assistance until April 17. This service takes place in the Azalea Building on Mondays and Wednesdays – by appointment. Appointments are scheduled at 9am, 10am, 11am, 1pm and 2pm. Call 760-643-5290 to schedule an appointment. If you reach their voice mail, leave a message with your name and phone number.
San Diego Food Bank The San Diego Food Bank operates a Senior Citizen food distribution site in the upper parking lot on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 11am-12pm. On that day there will be limited parking available in the upper parking lot. For more info on their program: SanDiegoFoodBank.org or call the Food Bank at 866-350-3663 to determine eligibility.
Spring – Summer Launch Party! When: March 6th 2:00-4:00pm Where: Park Terrace Café
Mark your calendars, the new Culture Caravan season is ready for kick off! Join us for a joint presentation at 2:00pm by Culture Caravan and our travel partner AFC, where we will unveil the exciting trips we have in store for our Culture Caravan travelers, and AFC trips for those looking for something more extravagant! Snacks and prizes will be provided. We invite you to take a gander around the café before and after the show as we host a small craft fair with local community vendors! For more information and other trips visit CityofVista.com/CultureCaravan or call 760-643-5283
Lunch Monday – Friday 12 noon – Reservations required 2 days in advance
Call 760-643-5288 to make or cancel lunch reservation.
Transportation to the center for lunch is available to Vista residents age 60+. Suggested contribution: $1 Call 760-643-5288 to schedule a ride. Reserve 2 business days prior to the lunch day.
Our OUT AND ABOUT program provides ADA transportation for medical appointments on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays from 9am-3pm. Call 760-643-5284 at least two days in advance.
- Door to Door Service
- $5 Round Trip -under one hour
- $3 One Way
TRANSPORTATION PROGRAMS Transportation Programs Vista’s Senior Center offers transportation services to registered seniors GMACVISTA.COM Door to Door service $5
Round Trip Reservation Required 24 hours prior. Call 760-643-5284.
- First Monday (March 6): Albertsons
- First Wednesday (March 1): Stater Brothers
- Second Monday (March 13): Walmart
- Second Wednesday (March 8): Frazier Farms
- Third Monday (March 20): Trader Joes
- Third Wednesday (March 15): Costco
- Fourth Monday (March 27): Food for Less
- Fourth Wednesday (March 22): Target
- 2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps people find the local resources they need. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Free copies of the Eldercare directory are available at the Senior Center. This directory contains info on transportation, housing, legal help and more.
- BenefitsCheckUp® connects millions of older adults and people with disabilities with benefits programs that can help pay for health care, medicine, food, utilities, and more. 800-794-6559
- The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides assistance to eligible low-income households with the goal of managing and meeting their immediate home heating and/or cooling needs. 866-675-6623
- Call the San Diego Food Bank at 866-350-3663 to speak with a staff member who can assess if you qualify for the program and provide information about your nearest food distribution site.
- Meals on Wheels provides home delivered meals for seniors for low cost. Call 619-260-6110
- ElderHelp provides housing services, information and referral, caregiver support, and check in calls for those that are interested. 619-284-9281
- YANA (You Are Not Alone) program is a free service from the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, providing telephone contact (Monday-Friday) to independently living seniors who have no friends or family to check on them regularly. Call the Vista Substation to enroll: 760-940-4551
- The FACT program provides transportation services. They pride themselves on providing safe, reliable transportation and excellent service. 760-754-1252
- Elder Law & Advocacy offers free assistance with legal, Medicare, caregiver, long-term care and many other issues. 858-565-1392
- The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or other emotional distress. People can also dial 988 if concerned for a loved one needing crisis support.
- For Their Thoughts offers caregiver support for families impacted by dementia. 760-659-3883
- The Alzheimer’s Project focuses on support for caregivers and aims to strengthen the local network of services available to people living with dementia and their families. 619-531-5522
City of Vista & GMACVISTA.COM